Re: Grub to run non-default kernel ONCE

Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

However, this server is VERY remote. Is there a way I can request that GRUB try my new kernel ONCE, then if it reboots or is rebooted, comes back up in the default (2.4) kernel?

This (from info grub) may help, depending on how the kernel fails...
# Fallback to the second entry.
fallback 1

If, for any reason, the default entry doesn't work, fall back to the
second one (this is rarely used, for obvious reasons).

fallback
--------

- Command: fallback num
    Go into unattended boot mode: if the default boot entry has any
    errors, instead of waiting for the user to do something,
    immediately start over using the NUM entry (same numbering as the
    `default' command (*note default::)). This obviously won't help if
    the machine was rebooted by a kernel that GRUB loaded.

Does that also work if the kernel panics ?

Cheers,
Hannes.