Re: re sharing

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 12:20, Robert Locke wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 13:31, netmask wrote:
> > you need to add the norootsquash option in there
> >
> > try adding -o rw
> >
> > if that doesn't
> >
> > try -o no_root_squash,rw
> >
> Actually, I think this belongs in the /etc/exports file.  no_root_squash
> is controlled by the server not the client.... :-)
>

> > -netmask
> >
> > > tobias (fedeng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) composed today:
> >
> > > thanks a lot all
> > >
> > > i want to share /var/www/html/
> > >
> > > ive put it in export
> > >
> > > /var/www/html/ 192.168.0.3(rw)
> > >
> > > k --- service nfs start
> > >
> > > [ok] ....
> > >
> > > works fine
> > >
> > > client -- mount 192.168.0.4:/var/www/html/ /webserver
> > >
> > > works but i cant write into it :(
> > >
> > > - im root on client and the dir /webserver is also owned by root
> > >
> > > any ideas ?
>
> By default, the root user on the client is mapped to the UID 65534 on
> each request to the server.  This user is sometimes referred to as
> nobody or nfsnobody.  In any event, the root user on the client cannot
> write to the server, while a legitimately defined user may be able to
> based on the UID permissions defined on the server.
>
> The simplest solution, as suggested above is to change the line in
> /etc/exports to say:
> /var/www/html/ 192.168.0.3(rw,no_root_squash)
>
> The one potential danger is to remember that the "root" user on any
> client Linux/Unix system is generally perceived to be insecure.  And you
> are now giving them potentially a minor set of keys to the kingdom on
> the server.  Your advantage is that the "domain" or client system
> defined there is a single system which I presume you have control
> of.....
>
> Good luck,
>
> --Rob

I have been following this thread with great interest. I run two gaming
servers on the same network. After seeing this thread, I thought it
would be a great idea to setup nfs shares on these servers, so I can
copy files to/from them.

But the one thing that confuses me is that, when I try to mount the nfs
share from the client machine, I keep getting a "permission denied"
message. (For the purpose of the test, both systems have been setup as
the root user. Until I understand better how this is supposed to work,
and the man pages, don't seem to make any sense to me either.)

Also, the other confusing thing is that, it's suggested to setup the
/etc/exports file as such:- (or use nfs server config tool)

/name_of_directory 192.168.0.3(rw,no_root_squash)

The mount it on the client as:-

mount 192.168.0.4:/name_of_directory/ /mount_point

The above configuration and mount setup, doesn't make sense. If the
server address is x.x.x.3 and it's mounted as x.x.x.4! It's not
possible, from what I can see here.

Any other ideas/help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Wolf