Re: re sharing

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 13:31, netmask wrote:
> you need to add the norootsquash option in there
>
> try adding -o rw
>
> if that doesn't
>
> try -o no_root_squash,rw

Actually, I think this belongs in the /etc/exports file.  no_root_squash
is controlled by the server not the client.... :-)

> -netmask
>
> > tobias (fedeng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) composed today:
>
> > thanks a lot all
> >
> > i want to share /var/www/html/
> >
> > ive put it in export
> >
> > /var/www/html/ 192.168.0.3(rw)
> >
> > k --- service nfs start
> >
> > [ok] ....
> >
> > works fine
> >
> > client -- mount 192.168.0.4:/var/www/html/ /webserver
> >
> > works but i cant write into it :(
> >
> > - im root on client and the dir /webserver is also owned by root
> >
> > any ideas ?

By default, the root user on the client is mapped to the UID 65534 on
each request to the server.  This user is sometimes referred to as
nobody or nfsnobody.  In any event, the root user on the client cannot
write to the server, while a legitimately defined user may be able to
based on the UID permissions defined on the server.

The simplest solution, as suggested above is to change the line in
/etc/exports to say:
/var/www/html/ 192.168.0.3(rw,no_root_squash)

The one potential danger is to remember that the "root" user on any
client Linux/Unix system is generally perceived to be insecure.  And you
are now giving them potentially a minor set of keys to the kingdom on
the server.  Your advantage is that the "domain" or client system
defined there is a single system which I presume you have control
of.....

Good luck,

--Rob