Re: Burning the Rescue CD error

Philippe wrote:
On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 01:26, Jerry Schromm wrote:

Hi everyone. Hey I was failing to burn the FC2 i386 Rescue disc with
some error. Couldn't follow it or something. Should have wrote it down
verbatim. Anyway it burned when I put Nero the burning software on
Disc at Once instead of what it was on Track at Once.

So is Disc at Once fine to create that rescue disc?? Let me know. I
have yet to try it to see if it works. By the way I burned all the
other ISO's to the Fedora core 2 with Track at Once. Tell me what you
think.

Hi,

For information, I burn my ISO CD exactly same I did for my rescue CD,
but it was with K3B under Linux. I think the default is TAO for burning
CD with K3B. Maybe a medium erro, try to burn at 4x only.

Maybe it helps.

Philippe

Just yesterday I spent several hours and about 30 CDRs, proving that in order to burn CDs reliably from the cdrecord cli the "-dao" option was required. **This was on MY system. YMMV**
My primary box:
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe ver 2.0 m/b
Athlon XP 2700+
512MB DDR
Sony DRU-530A
uname -a
Linux mavis 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl #1 Wed Jan 7 12:57:33 EST 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
Testing (stumbling about in the dark???) was done using Sony brand CDRs rated for speeds 1x - 48x.

I burned good CDRs at speeds up to 40x (drive's rated max) using the -dao option but consistently got platters at any speed (I think I tried 2x) without "-dao". Since my burner is a recent addition, I tried burning the same files using my old LG CDRW which now resides in an old box running (at that time) FC2, kernel 2.6.6-something.

I know that in the past, $ cdrecord -v dev=1,0,0 *discN*
(from the directory containing the iso images, N=CD number)
would always produce good CDs. But it sure didn't when I tried burning the FC3t1 iso files to CD.

BTW, I settled on that option as the key by looking at the command string used by XCDRoast (which is admittedly cumbersome but reliable without exception), discarding the irrevelant stuff (gracetime=, etc) and eliminating the other options by trial & error.

I hope someone can give a valid explanation.

--
Learn to pause -- or nothing worthwhile can catch up to you.

 10:09:00  up 2 days, 22:58,  9 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.03
     One billion seconds ago it was 07:22:20 CST Wed 11/08/72

Repeat after me: "The primary purpose of any government
entity is to employ the unemployable."