Re: Red Carpet available for FC2 -- please try it out

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 04:44, Jim Cornette wrote:
> As stated by another user though. ximian is too slow to start it's
> support of the latest distributions. I tried this program out during RH
> 7.x and up to 9. I haven't used this with Fedora. Up2date fills my
> requirements with the repos today.

But what I would like to see is Red Carpet packaged for Fedora
independently of Ximian. I agree that we can't rely on Ximian to provide
us with packages, but the whole framework is now GPLed and open source,
so there is no reason not to include it and use it.

This next comment is slightly off-topic, but I know some people urged
adoption of YaST (SUSE's configuration tool) when Novell open-sourced
YaST. Personally, I disagreed with that because (a) I simply dislike
YaST; and (b) I don't think that there is any genuine lack in the Fedora
system-config-* packages. But there *have* been many threads on this
list about a front-end to package management, and from newbies who are
confused about configuring their yum.conf. It strikes me that Red Carpet
is a mature solution to those acknowledged lacks in Fedora, and so
should at least be considered as a potential solution to them.

So, bottom line: don't rely on Ximian, but use good open-source
solutions that are available to us.  After all, no one thinks it's weird
that Evolution (another Ximian program) is our default mail program.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com