IMAP doesn't like HTML formatting

I recently switched my email account on my espersunited.com server from
POP to IMAP (POP is still supported, I think, but I prefer IMAP because
I have access to all my folders and mail wherever I am and not just on
my home computer.)  I am subscribed to a couple of mailing lists that
send out daily comic strips in HTML format.  When they come in though,
all I see is the code because it isn't being displayed properly.  How do
I get it to display HTML properly?  I know you'll ask what IMAP server
I'm using, but I'm not really sure.  How do I check?