FC1 kernel scsi and usb config question for redhat developers

I've just acquired a Lexar USB multi-card reader. I had some trouble making it work, until I found Susan Macchia's excellent web page about setting up these beasts:

http://linux-sxs.org/hardware/flashreaders.html

She specifically showed this instruction:

echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi
echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 1" > /proc/scsi/scsi
echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 2" > /proc/scsi/scsi
echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 3" > /proc/scsi/scsi

This is to get the kernel to see the various slots in the card reader as separate scsi devices. Now, I *could* put this into /etc/rc.local, except that the scsi bus number is not always the same, because I might have other usb stuff attached to the usb bus, such as my pen drive.

Then I discovered that the linux kernel actually has the ability to scan all the LUNs, if the option CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN is set. But I see from the config that this option is NOT set in the default Fedora kernels. I think it's a very useful option to have enabled, since many people are using multi-card readers these days. Is there any specific reason not to enable this by default, or is it just an oversight?