sound stopped working

Hi all,
I'm quite a newbie, so please bear with me. I don't use sound too much, so I'm not sure when this happened, but my sound stopped working. I'm using KDE 3.1.4-5, with FC1, although I don't get any sound with Gnome, either. I have found that other users are getting sound, however. I've gone into the KDE control center and turned on all messages. Now, when I log in, I get the following message:

Sound server warning message:
Can't set real-time scheduling priority.
You need to run artswrapper as root or
setuid root. This means that you will
likely not be able to produce acceptable
sound (i.e. without clicks and breaks)

I've run 'ps -A' and can't find artswrapper running at all. I've also googled for a solution, but all I've found so far are lots of others with sound problems.

Recent modifications (I don't know if these were before or after the sound problems) include:
java installation
normal up2date updates

Thanks for any help,
Dick