Re: Not allowed to create link on mounted FAT32 partition

Because FAT32 partitions don't support symbolic links.

On 10-Jul-04, at 3:20 PM, Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr Nordic/Baltic - Java System Software - Sun Microsystems wrote:

Greetings,

I have a FAT32 partition mounted as /mnt/windows/D as per the below fstab statement:

/dev/hdd1 /mnt/windows/D vfat users,owner,rw,umask=000 0 0

It's mounted at startup.

This mount allows ordinary users to read and write to the partition. But I've run into a problem when trying to make a link to a folder (right click in Nautilus and select "make link") - then I get an error message "Operation not permitted while creating a link..."

This problem also manifests itself when I run Azureus (Bittorrent client) - it tries to allocate space on the volume before starting download of a file and fails with the same "operation not permitted" message.

Why am I allowed to write to the partition but not create a link?

thanks,