Re: Traffic shaping... don't understand the instructions!

--On Thursday, July 08, 2004 3:59 PM -0600 "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Matthew, are you wandering off-topic and answering Kenneth's comment on
iptables, or do you suggest that this would also save traffic shaping
rules? Because if it's the latter, I don't think that's true at all...
OTOH if it's the former, please stick to the topic; I'm confused enough
already!

I think he misunderstood what I was saying. iptables has a good initscript for saving kernel state, leveraging the iptables-save commands. What we need is a similar initscript for the ip and tc commands and the kernel state they manage.

Much of the ip stuff is managed by the interface up/down scripts, so perhaps tc-specific state should also be stored there. That would suggest enhancing the interface profiles instead of creating a separate initscript. Shaping tends to touch a single interface, while the firewall often deals with forwarding and the interaction of multiple interfaces.

The interface stuff is all under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, with the ifup and ifdown scripts linked to /sbin. You might check ifup to see if there's a hook to invoke per-interface scripts.