Re: Firewall configuration for gnomemeeting

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 13:41, Colin Paul Adams wrote:

>     >>
>     Pedro> Then she can use netmeeting (comes with windows , at least
>     Pedro> in windows xp) and you use gnomemeeting.. If you have a
>     Pedro> firewall , you'll need to punch a few holes through
>     Pedro> it... (I say few , but one of them is huge.. It means
>     Pedro> opening udp ports from 5000 to 65000)
>
> You ARE joking aren't you? That's 60,000 ports!
> It would take me a year to type all that lot in!
> Isn't there a way to limit which ports it uses?
> --
> Colin Paul Adams
> Preston Lancashire

Pedro,
Why do you need that much open?.
Iptables, with using statefull rules allows established/related ports to
be opened.  Would not the other port(s) be related to the initial
contact port and thus fit these rules?

An example of what I mean is ftp.  Control connection is on port 21, and
I do not need to list the data port as it is "related" so it is
automatically allowed.  It seems netmeeting or gnomemeeting should work
similarly. I have not tried this but it seems logical.