Re: Assistance for newbies?

Scot L. Harris wrote:

What's missing, IMHO, is a regular posting of a "Help for Newbies", which
should also go out to new subscribers and be mentioned on the trailer that's
at the end of every post.

Such a posting would cover how to search the list, point to the FAQs and other
important info and (most important!) point to ER's page on how to ask
questions.

Thoughts?

My best experience is lurking on the newsgroup that Corel set up for WordPerfect support, which uses a volunteer support network. They have a set of FAQ's, and for repetitive questions, they simply reply with the link to the particular FAQ; I'd guess they have it scripted to the point that the response time is minimal, and the questioner gets referred imediately to a helpful resource. That may not be do-able on a list like this, but you all know what questions you answer over and over again, and being able to paste a link to the precise answer would probably be fairly satisfying. As a lurker, I find myself going to the link without having asked the question myself.