Re: What is a newbie?

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

--- Mark Eggers <mdeggers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Subject: What is a newbie? (Was Re: Assistance for

newbies?)

My question to the list is this: When is a newbie

no longer a newbie?

That's not irrelevant, for if we were to construct

a monthly posting

for newbies, we'd need a model of the target

audience.

Nice general question . . . .

a brilliant response

It would be easy to debate what a newbie is but not very productive because it undoubtedly means slightly different things to different people.
Perhaps people should contribute their description of the "model Linux newbie" and the list can comment on ones they like.

A description of the model Linux newbie:
A person new enough to Linux that they do not yet know how to do the things they want to do with Linux, nor what things are possible with Linux, nor how to find out the answers for themselves.

An alternative description:
A person that would benefit from having a mentor to introduce them to Linux, show them some basics, and how to utilize on line and off line documentation, and the etiquette of community supported software.

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021