What is a newbie? (Was Re: Assistance for newbies?)

On 07.07 13:09, David Maier wrote:

Although I've been dabbling with Linux for a couple of years, I consider myself a newbie. So perhaps my experience, and current profound frustrations, will help you figure out what will work for people like me. I don't mind reading HOWTO's, FAQ's, manuals and lists. I spend a huge amount of time doing that. Part of my problem is that, at the same time I'm learning about Linux, I'm also learning about packet sniffing, DNS, TCP, Windows Networking, etc. It's impossible, I'm finding, to do anything with Linux without being deeply knowledgeable about all things networking and TCP/IP.

David,

Your post makes some good points, but I have to disagree with you about how you've characterized yourself, so I've started a new thread so as not to hijack the old.

If anything that you try to do with Linux involves being deeply knowledgeable about all things networking and TCP/IP, then either you've gotten way off track or you're no longer a newbie. (Sorry 'bout that!) I've been running Linux for years, and I barely know what TCP/ IP means.

My question to the list is this: When is a newbie no longer a newbie? That's not irrelevant, for if we were to construct a monthly posting for newbies, we'd need a model of the target audience.

Regards.