Re: Startup problem

On or about 2004-07-06 01:17, Gene Heskett whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 02:01, Harry Zhang wrote:

I'm very new to Linux, and had just finished installing Fedora Core
1,  The initial boot was succesful, however, the 2nd and 3rd ...
was not. The second time I boot (with grub) the system started to
the startup process, while the system tries to load, somewhere
around loading cups, instead of ok, it just froze, and the next
time I boot, it started again, but this time, it gave me that the
previous session was not shutdown cleanly, and then i tried to use
force checking the root, but it didn't work, instead, it shows this
error:

Code: ff 0b 8b 4d e4 8b 75 e4 83 c1 2c 8b 51 04 8b 46 2c 89 50 04
<0>kernel panic: Aiee, killing interupt handler
In interrupt handler - not syncing

but something strange, I didn't give up, so i tried again, this
time, samething but it did start, right after i force checking the
root, it boots to the system, and everything went well, but the
next time i boot, well same problem happens. I'm new to Linux, so I
don't know how to use a rescue mode to fix this problem. Can
someone please help me with this.

There are instructions at the bottom of the grub screen, pick the kernel you want to boot, hit the magic 'edit' key combo, then add the word single to the end of the displayed line, and remove the 'ro' in the middle of it and hit the enter key. This will put you in single user mode and let you try to fix it.

It sounds like there is something wrong with the cups install, so what you may want to do is use 'chkconfig' to turn cups off, see the manpage for chkconfig's syntax to do that. Don't stay in that mode and poke around, you can muck things up pretty easily, but reboot normally as soon as cups has been turned off. Once you've got a good boot, then you can play with cups from a xterm shell.

-- Fritz Whittington It is the duty of every citizen according to his best capacities to give validity to his convictions in political affairs. (Albert Einstein, 'Treasury for the Free World,' 1946)