Re: fedora on dell precision 450 with nvidia quadro fx 1000 = no graphics

Norman Nunn wrote:
Try the vesa driver.  It temporarily let me get the GUI going until I
sorted out the NVIDIA driver issue.

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 22:36, John McBride wrote:

Hi everyone, I already have a message in the dell.com linux
support/community area, but I figured I'd post here too just in case
someone has seen or worked past this issue.

I have a dell precision workstation 450 with the quadro fx 1000 board.
When I try to install Fedora Core 1 it will not do a graphical install.
I can see "Fedora" on the screen, but it is huge, pixelated and
unusable. Also I have a Knoppix CDROM (3.3en) available; when booted as
"knoppix lang=en" it cannot go into graphical mode--again the display is
scrambled.

Text mode is okay. I have been able to get fedora installed on the
machine via text mode, and use it in runlevel 3, but it will not
"startx". There is no signal to the display. redhat-config-xfree86 shows
a bunch of thin blue and green vertical bars after several seconds, though.

Next I tried doing a update with yum, and then installing the latest
drivers from nvidia.com. Same symptoms.

Finally I have tried downloaded the latest "dkms" and "nvidia-dkms" from
the dell site and the results are the same...there are no errors in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log, all seems well, but no video signal to the
display when I startx.

I have never used one of these cards before, it has the two strange (to
me) DVI cable connections, and I am running them to two Sony monitors
with the same type of plug.

Thanks for any comments,
John

PS: I did RTFM and attempted a number of BIOS settings, as well as using
the various NVIDIA agp modes (compiled in and set in the XFree config
file). Nothing made a difference.

Another thing you might try is entering in "linux nofb" when it asks you what to load in the Fedora syslinux screen...

Steve

--
Steven Ringwald
Asric Consulting Services