Sound but nothing on VU

I want to record from my line in on my sound card and everything seems
to be working fine with the sound.  I can turn the volume up and down in
the mixer but can't record and none of the VU meters show any sound even
when it's going through the speakers fine.  Also sound recorder crashes
if I hit the record button.

Tim...