Re: Nvidia nforce2 mobo/graphics problem

Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr Nordic/Baltic - Java System Software - Sun Microsystems wrote:

Correct, my mobo doesn't have nforce audio. It has the more basic Realtek chips. I discovered that I actually do get sound, but only on the front 2 channels, not the surround channels. In Windows, the audio output ports can be configured so that the microphone port becomes the rear (or surround) port. I need to do this in Fedora as well, since I have speakers connected to both front and rear outputs.

00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)

So this really is the nforce2 audio chipset. This is the same chipset I have on my mobo.

and

snd_pcm_oss 47656 0
snd_mixer_oss 16768 3 snd_pcm_oss
snd_intel8x0 28844 4
snd_ac97_codec 60420 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm 80392 2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0
snd_timer 19972 1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc 9096 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
gameport 3840 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_mpu401_uart 5760 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_rawmidi 19364 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device 7048 1 snd_rawmidi
snd 44260 13 snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device

soundcore               7008  3 snd

/POL

This looks good. Have you run 'alsamixer' and tried turning up the volume for the Surround Channel? I only have 2.1 speakers, so I can't verify that the surround works. You might look at the alsa page for the nforce2 chipset (which is using the intel8x0) driver:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Intel&card=i820&chip=i820&module=intel8x0

There are some notes for solutions to various problems at the bottom of the page.

What application are you using that has surround sound?