problems installing with software RAID setup

I have 2 near-identical PATA 160gig hard drives, so I thought it would be a good idea to try a RAID-0 setup, since I'm going to be using this machine for a few disk-intensive tasks.

I have one drive directly connected to the motherboard, and one on a PCI card controller. At bootup the BIOS recognises the one on the mobo first, then later shows a seperate screen showing the drive on the PCI card. In Linux the drive directly on the mobo is /dev/hde and the one on the PCI controller is /dev/hdc.

I used disk druid from the GUI installer to setup the drives as below:

RAID devices
	/dev/md0	/boot		ext2		100megs
	/dev/md1	swap				1500megs
	/dev/md2	/		resierfs	303541megs

Hard Drives
  /dev/hdc
	/dev/hdc1	/dev/md0	softwareRAID	100megs
	/dev/hdc2	/dev/md1	softwareRAID	750megs
	/dev/hdc3	/dev/md2	softwareRAID	151770megs
  /dev/hde
	/dev/hde1	/dev/md0	softwareRAID	100megs
	/dev/hde2	/dev/md1	softwareRAID	750megs
	/dev/hde3	/dev/md2	softwareRAID	151770megs

The boot is RAID-1, swap and root partitions are RAID-0.

Installation went fine, but when the boot loader screen should have come up the computer just printed GRUB and freezed.

I tried again, thinking perhaps the MBR was being put on hdc (since that drive has the lower leter), but should be on hde (since that's what the mobo sees first). This time in the installation I ticked "Configure advanced boot loader options", went into Change Drive Order and make hde above hdc. When I rebooted I just got the same freeze as before.

Can anyone see what the problem is here?