Re: DHCP Server, Shorewall, IP Forwarding help

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 22:25, adam stokes wrote:
> Outline : Server w/ 2 nics, Workstation on local network., Shorewall
> firewall for IP Masq, DHCP Server
> Problem : Not able to ping outside local network from workstation.
>
> What does work:
> DHCP server setup and hands out Lan IP's defined through the range in
> dhcpd.conf
> Server can ping outside network
> Workstation can ping server
> Have used sample configs for Shorewall which outline my lan setup.
> I have checked to make sure IP Forwarding is turned on, and that
> iptables,shorewall, and dhcp server are started, ifconfig on server
> shows eth0 bounded to the ISP and eth1 bounded to lan ip given out by
> dhcp server.
> IFConfig on workstation shows IP given out by DHCP server as well.
>
> I am lost at what else to look at to try and get my workstation to
> properly connect to the internet through the dhcp server :(
>
> Only thing i really dont understand is the DNS Options to set in
> dhcpd.conf so im not sure how important that is since the dns should be
> resolving from the ISP which the resolv.conf on the server shows that.
>
> So any help as to directions to look at would be appreciated
> adam

Does the server have access to the internet?
Does the workstation have access to the server?
Is a firewall running on the server?
If you have an IP of an internet host (such as www.yahoo.com) can you
ping that address from either the server or the workstation?

We need to narrow down the possible points of failure before an exact
fix can be provided.

It sounds like a possible problem with the firewall not doing NAT and
forwarding of connections, but I do not know if your server even has
internet access.  It also could be related to DNS or several other
things.