Re: yum dead in water, only evidence of server is ping response

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 22:13, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 03 July 2004 22:49, Clint Harshaw wrote:
> >Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Greetings;
> >>
> >> Find attached my yum.conf for an FC1 system.  Is there something
> >> wrong with it?  I've not managed to get any response out of the
> >> server for [updates-released] in about 4, maybe 5 days now.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >> [base]
> >> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> >> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$r
> >>eleasever/$basearch/os/
> >
> >Bingo! The problem is with the yum.conf trying to hit the redhat
> > server which is overloaded. Try using the sample yum.conf available
> > at this url:
> >
> >http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc1/samples/yum.conf
> >
> >You'll see a big improvement!
>
> And this one works, except I forgot to put in the exclude=kernel*
> line :-)
>

> >Hope this helps,
> >Clint

Clint:
Why do you use the "exclude=kernel"?

Problems I see with that option:

1)  Doing that prevents getting the newer kernels and packages.  This
can be bad when you really want the updated kernel but cannot even use
yum to get it without editing the yum.conf file first.

2)  When doing an update yum automatically converts the kernel
processing to install and does not break the older kernel for booting.
If the new kernel does not work you can select the one you want to boot.

3)  The *only* problem I can see in some users minds is that when using
yum to update the kernel it automatically makes the newer kernel the
default for booting. (I, for one, see that as a plus.)

I have seen several emails on this list recently complaining that apt
and up2date do not take the action of #3 and they have to manually edit
grub.conf to make the new kernel the default. I prefer the action of yum
in this respect.

Also, I recently was using a yum.conf file contributed by a user on this
list, and had trouble updating XFree86.  It was not until someone
pointed out to me the exclude line that I was able to identify that
problem.

Jeff