Re: One more question?

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 00:04, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 14:16, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> >

> >>One more thing: How do I burn the isos to a CD in Linux?
> >>

> >Andrew,
> >
> >Terry Linhardt asked that exact same question about two hours ago. (Rule
> >#1: read. Rule #2: see #1.)
> >
> >The trick is to *right-click* on the ISO image file, then choose "Write
> >to CD...". It's not intuitive, but it works like a charm.
> >
> >--Doc
> >Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
> >Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2197.nptl on P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
> >"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
> >                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov
> >

> Well, at the time, I had just subscribed to this list, so that question
> was asked before I was a member and I don't see it in my inbox right
> now. Secondly, I was downloading the .isos when I asked the question, so
> I didn't have a file to even work with yet. I apologize for asking a
> stupid( or rather "uninformed") question. I help my friends set up their
> windows pcs all the time, but I try to be patient since I know they have
> no idea what I am talking about...

Terry,
Please don't take Doc's rather brusque answer personally.

You did not say if you are already running Linux, but I assume from your
earlier information on the other thread that you are using RH9.

The quickest/easiest way RH9 (and in most linux versions) is to use the
command line cdrecord.  A line such as "cdrecord dev=<device> speed=XX
-eject <isofile>" works perfectly. (Of course you have to specify the
device, maximum speed you want, and the actual filename in that.)  You
may need to run "cdrecord -scanbus" to get the device in #,#,# format if
you do not already know it.

You also can use xcdroast or other gui tools as well, but AFAIK they all
depend on cdrecord to work.  The "right click" advice works with
nautilus as a burner.