Re: List of rpms to install mplayer on FC2 (2.6.6-1.435.2.1)

Robert Locke wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 12:11, Chuck_Sterling wrote:
>
>> <OT RAMBLE>
>>
>> As I type this, I'm trying to get a handle on, for want of a better
>> term, the "politics" of Linux. Not the legal questions re: M$ and SCO
>> et al, but where Linux in general, commercial Linux distributions
>> (RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake, etc.), and Fedora Core fit into the IT
>> world.
>
> <snip>
>
>> Opinions, omissions, misspellings: all are mine.
>>
>> </OT RAMBLE>
>>

>> > HTH in the future,
>>
>> I'm sure it will.
>> Thanks again,
>> Chuck
>>

> Chuck,
>
> Since no-one else seems to be taking you up on the ramble, let me
> offer a few opinions.....
>
> I think there is currently an assumption that computing is broken into
> several categories....  Perhaps the most lucrative category is that of
> "servers".  It is in this category that commercial releases of Linux
> seem to be destroying the various flavors of Unix.
>
> Linux's success as an enterprise server now has many of it's
> proponents
> exploring it's viability on a desktop.  I would further opine that the
> desktop is also broken into two categories: corporate and consumer.  A
> standard corporate desktop that needs basic "office" tools (word
> processor, spreadsheet, and presentation), a java-enabled web browser,
> and email is already being handily met by Linux today.

<snip>

> Read up on the often quoted: It's not about free beer, it's about
> freedom of choice!!  That is what GNU and Linux are all about and what
> we are fighting for!
>
> --Rob

I can't argue with that. I use Linux at home for a desktop for email,
news, browsing, and things along those lines. I dual-boot WinXP for
lots of other apps, plus my kids, all in college, use Windows for
homework and such.

At $WORK I have four elderly Intel boxes with RH 7.3 boxen providing
secondary DNS service, and a couple others, slightly less elderly, in
my office running network tools like nmap and such. Once in a while I
will use one of them for some office-related work but that's the
exception to the rule. So far as I know (and I should know), nobody
else there uses Linux at all.

I would like to see some real, serious, and user-friendly, Linux-based
competition for M$ on the desktop. IMO *nix already and historically
leads the server world; the challenge is retaining the lead. There are
a LOT of newcomers to IT that start and stay with M$ Windows platforms;
these are the decision-makers that will be there after oldguys like me
retire. Perhaps I should get into management after all and be in a
position to do more than complain...

Anyway, thanks for the feedback on this and other items...

Chuck