Re: List of rpms to install mplayer on FC2 (2.6.6-1.435.2.1)

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 12:11, Chuck_Sterling wrote:

> <OT RAMBLE>
>
> As I type this, I'm trying to get a handle on, for want of a better
> term, the "politics" of Linux. Not the legal questions re: M$ and SCO
> et al, but where Linux in general, commercial Linux distributions
> (RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake, etc.), and Fedora Core fit into the IT world.

<snip>

> Opinions, omissions, misspellings: all are mine.
>
> </OT RAMBLE>
>

> > HTH in the future,
>
> I'm sure it will.
> Thanks again,
> Chuck

Chuck,

Since no-one else seems to be taking you up on the ramble, let me offer
a few opinions.....

I think there is currently an assumption that computing is broken into
several categories....  Perhaps the most lucrative category is that of
"servers".  It is in this category that commercial releases of Linux
seem to be destroying the various flavors of Unix.

Linux's success as an enterprise server now has many of it's proponents
exploring it's viability on a desktop.  I would further opine that the
desktop is also broken into two categories: corporate and consumer.  A
standard corporate desktop that needs basic "office" tools (word
processor, spreadsheet, and presentation), a java-enabled web browser,
and email is already being handily met by Linux today.

The use of a DVD player, digital camera, scanners, and other hardware,
while used in many business environments, I think is more consumer
oriented and seems to be the area Linux is still struggling in.  It is
not so much that we cannot get that hardware to work, it is more a
philosophical problem....

I think those of us in the Unix/Linux world have held to a philosophy
that assumes a level of competence to the user.  The user should
understand the technology they are trying to operate.  In it's most
basic sense, we believe the user should be able to use vi (or their
editor of choice) to modify a configuration file to make the computer do
what the user wants it to do.  Of course, while the Windows world may
try to sugar-coat it, how many Windows users are truly comfortable in
editing their "registry" or properly configuring various security
options, and what has been the cost to all of us?

Of course, let's also compare apples to apples.  I do not think you can
compare your experiences with Fedora and experiences with Solaris and
Windows.  I think a more accurate comparison would be to put Solaris
against Windows against Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  Each of these is a
commercial, supported entity and, therefore, on more level footing.

Fedora, while seeded by Red Hat, is a community thing.  Do we need
better, more complete sources of information and documentation?  You
bet.  In fact, there have been several threads related to this over the
last month on this list.  One great source is the weekly posting by
melgil88 that begins to summarize recurring issues.  Or perhaps the
fedorafaq.org page I sent you earlier this evening.  Even this mailing
list's archives have a wealth of information (though I still believe
searching is more art than science.... <g>)

So, I think you need to look closer at the commercial forms of Linux in
drawing any conclusions about Linux's marketing efforts and potential
success or failure.  Oh, and the competition between them?  This is
actually a good thing.  It is why Linux will win - "coopetition" and GPL
- only ill-conceived software patents will slow us down!!  The adherence
to GPL means that all will benefit and continue to march forward, not be
ransomed each year by ever-increasing prices in a single-vendor lock-in.

Read up on the often quoted: It's not about free beer, it's about
freedom of choice!!  That is what GNU and Linux are all about and what
we are fighting for!

--Rob