Re: Me again... :-)

From: Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Me again... :-)
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 02:16:08 +0200

Am So, den 04.07.2004 schrieb Thomas Sapp um 2:04:

> Does anyone have any ideas why I get an error of "Could not open connection
> to the host, on port 23: Connect failed" or "> Finger: connect::Connection
> refused" when using these services? I think it may have to do with the
> host.allow and host.deny files but these are both empty at the moment. Any
> help would be appreciated.

> Thomas Sapp

Don't use telnet, but SSH instead to remotely login. The SSH daemon is
on by default on Fedora systems.

Use a finger daemon only if you really need to. Normally there is no
need.

And Fedora uses the xinetd with configuration files under /etc/xinetd.d/
for services controlled by the xinetd daemon.

Alexander

-- Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG key 1024D/ED695653 1999-07-13 Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.1 Serendipity 02:13:18 up 2 days, 5:37, load average: 0.10, 0.44, 0.60 << signature.asc >>
I would use SSH except I am not allow to install software on my work computer that is not approved by my company, freeware or not.

As for finger, I was only playing around with it and found that it is not working either.

And I am aware of the xinet.d files and the telnet file listed there is pretty much greek to me. Anyone able to translate the file or atleast help me understand it? Here is the contents of said file:

[root@Raisor root]# cat /etc/xinetd.d/telnet
# default: on
#       unencrypted username/password pairs for authentication.
service telnet
{
       disable = no
       flags           = REUSE