Re: Me again... :-)

On Saturday 03 July 2004 19:04, Thomas Sapp wrote:
> Ok, here is hopefully my last problem for a while... (Doubt it!
> hehe)  I have several computers setup on a network connecting to a
> cable modem through a linksys dsl/cable router w/8 port switch.  I
> have my Fedora Care 2 machine set up as DMZ Host.
>
> I can connect to the HTTP, VNC, and FTP services without any
> problems, however, I can not access IdentD, Telnet or Finger
> services.  I have done several searches and they all tend to refer
> to an inetd.conf which I assume under fedora is xinetd.conf.  I
> have made the many suggested changes and have also contacted my ISP
> Tech helpdesk and Linksys's helpdesk but nothing seems to resolve
> the issue.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas why I get an error of "Could not open
> connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed" or "> Finger:
> connect::Connection refused" when using these services?  I think it
> may have to do with the host.allow and host.deny files but these
> are both empty at the moment.  Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
> Thomas Sapp
> http://www.sappsworld.com

for telnet, try:

#chkconfig telnet on
#service xinetd restart

then make sure you have no firewall blocking port 23

for identd, try
#service indentd start

then make sure you have no firewall blocking port 113

for fingerd, well, I don't have it on my FC1 box so I can't say for
sure ......

By the way, look into security considerations for these if you're not
familiar with them.

Regards,  Mike Klinke