Re: fedora.redhat.com nightmare updating!

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 05:33:15AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 03 July 2004 04:04, Florin Andrei wrote:
> >>
> >> I notice you're not sharing this information.... presumably so it
> >> remains fast for you. ;-)
> >
> >yes
>
> yes is all well and good for you, but the rest of us are looking at
> several days worth of typing 'yum update' (FC1) only to have it hang
> at the downloading headers line, and 10 minutes later give it a

The whole point of mirrors is not only to distribute the load, but
also to give you a mirrror close to where you live, which should
theoretically be faster. If someone has a favorite mirror halfway
around the world and they tell you about it, it's likely to do you
absolutely no good.

On the other hand, a close mirror isn't always the best. I live in
southern ohio and like to use eas.muohio.edu as my mirror, as they
are about 30 miles from my house, but they are frequently bogged
down, so I use others hundreds of miles away.
  The point is, the best mirror for you is the best mirror for YOU,
not somebody else.
  Even on FC2 with yum picking a mirror, I have problems. The only
way to go is configure your own favorite mirrors by trial and error.

As alway, YMMV.