RE: kernel with APM support?

--- Satish Balay <balay@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Globe Trotter wrote:
>

> >> You can use either APM or ACPI for powermanagement (not both at the
> >> same time). With FC2 the default is ACPI. When you use the kernel boot
> >> option "acpi=off" - ACPI is disabled and APM is enabled.
> >>
> >> Now the userlad 'apmd' can interact with the kernel & provide the apm
> >> functionality (Fn-F4 for suspend etc..)
> >>
> >> Satish
> >>

> > Thank you again, Satish. By the way, should I use apmsleep or is there some
> > other alternative to use with ACPI?
>
> Does APM work for you or not?
>
> If ACPI were to work - you would do the following to send the laptop
> to sleep (as root):
>
> echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep

Yes, ACPI does work. But can you please tell me what the above does? In
particular, what does feeding 3 into the /proc/acpi/sleep give me? What would
1, 2, etc have given?

Also, can I run this with an sudo command? In that case, do I add the
/proc/acpi/sleep into the sudo list? I do not want me to get root access to
everything.

Thanks again for all your help, and best wishes!