Re: How to open .kwd files into Gnome (without KDE) -if possible..

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 19:52, M Daniel R M wrote:

>  What am I missing, if anything? All in all, it is supposed to should be
> full compatibility between different Linux desktops at least, isn't it?
> And more... Why does it have to be so difficult and "hidden"?

I am no authority when it comes to KDE so take this with a pinch of
salt, but I think that you may have go through a slightly convoluted
route to open these files in OOo. As I understand it, later versions of
KOffice are either adopting the OOo file formats outright, or are at
least adding filters for them. But older versions used their own file
format and I don't personally know of any conversion tools to get them
into a format understood by either OOo or GNOME Office. So, first find
out if the current versions of KOffice shipped with FC1 have support for
saving your legacy documents in OOo format, or if worse comes to the
worst, in MS Office format. If they do, install KOffice and the bare
minimum of KDE libraries that you need for KOffice, and then convert
them to something your current applications of choice can deal with. It
will be a pain but you'll only need to do it once.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com