SU in file browser?

Hi,

I've just started to use Fedora and I must say its the only
Linux distro I've tried with a GUI thats felt as slick as
WinXP and MasOC X so well done on that! I usually try to
install and use *nix (tried SUSE, Mandrake & FreeBSD so
far)on my spare PC every 9 months or so but give up in
frustration shortly afterwords when I try and get things
configured. Fedora seems to be allot nicer to get set-up
and running though, so things are looking good!

I'm still having some problems getting my apache/mysql
installation going, its mainly things like how to be able
to copy files (myphpadmin to be exact) in the file
browser(explorer/finder like app) without having to log in
as SU/root, I know how to use SU in a terminal but how do I
do it in the file browser? Also can anyone tell me the
terminal copy command for copying a directory and its
contents (files & folders) to another location?

While I am at it what is your opinions on Oreilly's 'Linux
in a Nutshell' book? I want to get a good book that will
introduce me into how Linux works and as a command/system
reference while I get my feet would this book be suitible
for this?

Amazon link to 'Linux in a Nutshell':
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596004826/ref=ord_cart_shr/026-2807847-2059656?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Cheers,