Re: fresh install for dual boot with winxp : grub hangs

Am Do, den 01.07.2004 schrieb Hans Horn um 19:59:

> > Did you manually post it here? Just because in the line above it
should
> > be "Disk /dev/hda" and not "hdb".
> So I did - should indeed be /dev/hda (typo). Have no idea how send
email
> from a linux rescue session, so I typed the outputs of the fdisk
commands.

I see :) If the drive is mounted rw and not just ro in rescue mode, then
you can redirect the output of a command into a file, like "fdisk -l >
partition.list".

> > No good setup, the fist partition is extended and the second is the
one
> > with bootable flag, though the first is marked as hidden.
> That's the way the box came configured by HP when I bought it.

Hm, is that a hidden partition for any administrative purpose like the
Compaq boxes had or is it for suspend to disk? Actually I am not sure
how Linux handles such partitions.

> >> /dev/hdb1         85282   89346    2048287+   82    Linux swap
> >> /dev/hdb2             1   50793   25599640+    c    W95 FAT32 (LBA)
> >> /dev/hdb3  *      50793   85282   17382330+   83    Linux
>
> > Here the third marked as bootable. hdb1 is physically at the end of
the
> > disk but has the first letter.
> I've go not clue how "drive letters" get assigned. Can that be
changed?

Not without complete repartitioning and that means backing up data and
do a clean new job.

> Btw, the Linux partitions were created from w/i winxp using
partitionmagic.

Well, though many swear on their Partition Magic tool - I like it too
for plain Windows[tm] machines - I have not that good experiences when
using PQmagic on systems with Linux on it. PQmagic and the Linux
partition tools have different opinions about partition layouts. The
best way to get heavy problems - equal to yours now - is to
pre-partition a hard drive before installing an OS with PQmagic and
later use it with Windows[tm] OS and Linux.

> That is also where I named the Linux partition "LINUX".

Ah! From there it comes. Ok, then the partition might still be labeled
"LINUX", but as Phil already pointed out it does not fit the grub.conf
settings. As said in previous paragraph, better do not partition from
PQmagic for usage with any Linux.

> What partscheme would you recommend for this disk?
> Linux bootable first, then Linux swap, then FAT32?

You have to judge yourself what would be the best way to find out of
your current situation. What I would recommend while looking at what you
posted about your drive's layout: begin from scratch. Backup all your
data, forget Windows[tm] and Linux. Make sure about the sense of the
hidden partition on the first disk. Erase the actual partitions and
begin with the installation of Windows[tm] using it's partition tool
during install. Let it reside on the first primary partition. Being
ready with the Win part install Fedora using Disk Druid.

> H.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.1
Serendipity 21:38:48 up 1:03, 9 users, 0.34, 0.68, 0.68