Re: fresh install for dual boot with winxp : grub hangs

Hi Alex,

Did you manually post it here? Just because in the line above it should
be "Disk /dev/hda" and not "hdb".
So I did - should indeed be /dev/hda (typo). Have no idea how send email from a linux rescue session, so I typed the outputs of the fdisk commands.

150 heads is a bit "uncommon" I feel.
That's what fdisk says!

No good setup, the fist partition is extended and the second is the one
with bootable flag, though the first is marked as hidden.
That's the way the box came configured by HP when I bought it.

/dev/hdb1         85282   89346    2048287+   82    Linux swap
/dev/hdb2             1   50793   25599640+    c    W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hdb3  *      50793   85282   17382330+   83    Linux

Here the third marked as bootable. hdb1 is physically at the end of the
disk but has the first letter.
I've go not clue how "drive letters" get assigned. Can that be changed?
Btw, the Linux partitions were created from w/i winxp using partitionmagic. That is also where I named the Linux partition "LINUX".
Unfortunately, I can't boot into any OS these days, and my bootable partionmagic floppy seems to be kaputt, so I can't make any change to this setup using partitionmagic.

What partscheme would you recommend for this disk?
Linux bootable first, then Linux swap, then FAT32?

Did such setups ever work for you?
This is my first attempt to install linux; it is also my first stab at trying dual boot.

H.