Re: fc2 is single user?!

> * Matthew Miller <znggqz@xxxxxxxxxx> [2004-07-01 01:15:10 -0400]:
>
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 10:09:48AM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
>> my wife and I each log in on one's own virtual console and start X with
>> "startx".  each has one's own X window session, and we can switch
>> between them with C-M-f7 and C-M-f8 (obviously, we take turns using the
>
> What about using GDM instead of 'startx'? That's what my wife and I do, and
> it's incredibly trivial to set up -- edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf, and find
> the line that says '0=Standard' and add a '1=Standard" right after.

I tried it, and the thing went berserk starting and restarting servers.
When eventually the conflict settled down, I got two virtual consoles
with X server running on them: blank screens with "X" mouse pointer and
_nothing_ else - no desktop, no menus, no way to login or starts gnome &c.

>> monitor/keyboard, but we do not need to logout to let the other use the
>> computer).  I had to do some tricks to enable both of us to use
>> audio/video &c: I created a group "sound", added both of us to it, and
>> did "chgrp sound, chmod g+rw" for the audio devices. This worked OK
>> (although each upgrade and reboot reset ownership and permissions).
>
> To make this persistant across reboots, check out the file
> /etc/security/console.perms.

indeed, removing this file did help.
thanks!

I wish it could be modified to set group ownership/permissions instead
of user ownership/permissions.

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.