Re: Xorg -configure problems

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 15:15 -0400, Art Werschulz wrote:
Hi.

> Regarding my X-windows configuration problem, I was told
>
> > This information is readily available on the web:
> >
> > http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/monitors/p793/En/specs.htm
> >
> > Resolution
> > Horizontal scan range 30 kHz to 96 kHz (automatic)
> > Vertical scan range 50 Hz to 160 Hz (automatic)
> > Optimal preset resolution 1024 x 768 at 85 Hz
> > Highest preset resolution 1600 x 1200 at 75 Hz
>
> AFAICT, all this information is currently present in the xorg.conf
> file, except for the 85Hz.  Currently, the xorg.conf file has

The 85 Hz is the refresh rate, not the DotClock which is typically a
value in the MHz range. Can find a lot of info on this at
http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO/
However, ESR points out "This HOWTO is effectively obsolete. Current
(4.0.1 and up) versions of XFree86 compute optimal modelines from the
resolution you specify in the Modes section of your X configuration
file.".

> HOWEVER ... I'm wondering if this is a red herring.

Yes.

> After all, we're
> able to launch X windows successfully.  The problem only happens when
> terminating an X windows session, in which case we're getting the
> abberant behavior:
>
> (1) The screen shows a floating box with a complaint.
> (2) When the X server shuts down, it wedges, and can only be restored
>     by switiching runlevels (init 3; init 5).

Sounds like enough of a problem to want to fix.  Wish I could help more
than that, but at least can point out that the DotClock seems to be a
wild goose chase (to add another metaphor).

Phil