Re: Fedora Core 2 and audio

On or about 2004-06-29 14:59, Gordon Keehn whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

Steve Cooke wrote:

Hi,
Florin Andrei wrote:

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 16:48, Steve Cooke wrote:

Everything you need is included in the FC2 install kit. ALSA is the new
sound mega-driver that's included by default in the new linux-2.6 kernel
series.

Try and run the audio mixer and see if there are some channels muted by
default. Or fire up an xterm and run alsamixer in it (it's a different
kind of mixer, the ALSA native mixer), unmute the muted channels, wiggle
the volume levels up and down and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks very much. It all works beautifully now. One of your comments pointed to a possible clue - I ran system-config-soundcard and that seemed to do the trick.

What do you do when system-config-soundcard tells you your CSC4232 sound processor doesn't exist. In the ooold days, sndconfig used to be able to find and configure it fine!
Cheers,
Gordon Keehn

You re-configure the kernel with the module for your CSC4232 card checked, and re-build it. First, do the command "dmesg | less" and look at the output. A portion of mine is:

isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
pnp: SB audio device quirk - increasing port range
pnp: AWE32 quirk - adding two ports
isapnp: Card 'Creative SB AWE64  PnP'
isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total

...so the system found my sound card hardware. The problem is that the module that runs it was not compiled in the kernel as shipped. (VERY anoying that nothing I could find told me that the module failed to load; all you get is the message that there is no sound hardware.....) What was more confusing is that every RH up through FC1 had the module, and everything worked fine. But FC2 didn't. Once I re-made the kernel, sound was just fine.

--
Fritz Whittington
TI Alum - http://www.tialumni.org