Upgrading with anconda/apt/yum (was: upgrade to fc2)

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 02:52:28PM -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Chances for success probably depend heavily on how many non-Fedora
> add-on packages you have added.  If you've got "generic" FC1, upgrade
> would probably work well.  If you have a lot of FreshRPMS, Dag, Livna,
> ATrpms, ... it will be problematic.

at ATrpms all packages are designed in such a way as to allow for
proper upgrade paths. That is why the release tags look so ugly. ;)

I strongly assume the same for all mentioned repos.

But note that anaconda is very hard to packages, for instance it rips
out all your old kernels w/o removing the associated dependent rpms,
leaving dangling dependencies behind (which an apt-get -f install
rectify).

My smoothest upgrades until now have been with apt, and I assume
similar success with yum. If you have LVM/RAID forget it and use
anaconda by all means (and if you have x86_64 apt is not yet working
on biarchs anyway).

Just for reference here are Seth's And Panu's HOWTO links for
upgrading vai apt/yum:

http://laiskiainen.org/apt/misc/fc1-fc2-apt-hints.txt
http://www.linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/misc/fc1-fc2-yum-hints.txt

No HOWTO for ananconda, I guess that's not needed ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net