Re: OT What would be the best script type

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 02:36, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> slim wrote:
> > To do the following?
> >
> > I just got one of those fancy-dancy gmail accounts, and while I aint
> > crazy about the email side of it, the one gig storage gave me an idea.
> >
> > what Id like to do, is make a script that will gather certain dir. and
> > files for back up, split some tar.gz files at 9.8 meg each and email
> > them to my gmail account... the gmail account has a 10 meg limit on a
> > single message hence the need to split the file...
>
> Well, since you're going to have to encode it, your files will have to
> be split into approx 4.9MB.  Base64 may be a bit more efficient though.
>
> You could split the files, encode, mail, and keep the subjects for
> indexes pretty well with maybe a 50 line shell script, but that doesn't
> count dealing with http, ssl, and logging into the gmail account.
>
> I would imagine that google wouldn't want you using gmail for a file
> store, so they'd probably add some dynamics into the data submission and
> retrieval systems...
>
> Mike

the file would be an attachment to an email so no login would be
required. basically the script would make a backup tar.gz it then just
attach it to a e-mail sent to gmail.

According to the gmail tos, it actually encourages this type of
attachment, I guess to test it out.  it just wont accept .exe files

thanks for your reply
slim