Re: OT What would be the best script type

slim wrote:
To do the following?

I just got one of those fancy-dancy gmail accounts, and while I aint
crazy about the email side of it, the one gig storage gave me an idea.

what Id like to do, is make a script that will gather certain dir. and
files for back up, split some tar.gz files at 9.8 meg each and email
them to my gmail account... the gmail account has a 10 meg limit on a
single message hence the need to split the file...

Well, since you're going to have to encode it, your files will have to be split into approx 4.9MB. Base64 may be a bit more efficient though.

You could split the files, encode, mail, and keep the subjects for indexes pretty well with maybe a 50 line shell script, but that doesn't count dealing with http, ssl, and logging into the gmail account.

I would imagine that google wouldn't want you using gmail for a file store, so they'd probably add some dynamics into the data submission and retrieval systems...

Mike