Re: help: DHCP & cable-modem

On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 21:09, javac@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> i have a cable modem, and periodically lose my internet connection.  Presumabely, my provider is changing my IP and FC1 isn't automatically detecting the new IP. ?

To check if this is happening, check the output of "ifconfig" when you
notice the connection has dropped.

If the inet addr is not listed or if it is listed but you cannot get
commection then you will need to do "service network restart" then look
at the output of "ifconfig" again.  If the connection does not come back
with this, then try power cycling the modem and after it has re-synced
with the provider, repeat the service network restart and check if the
connection has been re-established.

Only if the ip address is changing can you say your provider is forcing
the address change.  An ip address loss or connection loss without loss
of ip address is indicative of signal loss (modem problems usually)

While it is possible for the provider to force an address change, and in
my experience the xDSL providers do a forced IP address change
frequently, I have yet to see the cable providers that use DHCP, do a
forced IP change.  My cable IP address has been constant for over 2
years.

What I have encountered though, and sometimes frequently, is a modem
losing sync with the provider.  A simple power off - on of the modem is
usually all it takes to get my connection back when that happens.