Re: ppp not getting dns info on connect

Chuck_Sterling wrote:
On fc2, all updates installed, ppp connects to my local ISP and I get a
dynamic IP address as expected, but the default gateway and dns server
IP addresses are not set up. This did work correctly on fc1, and does
under fc2 when connecting via ethernet at $WORK.

I found that the default gateway was working fine, but usepeerdns was not causing a resolv.conf to be created, as the pppd man page says it should:

   usepeerdns
     Ask  the  peer  for up to 2 DNS server addresses.  The addresses
     supplied by the peer (if any) are passed to  the  /etc/ppp/ip-up
     script in the environment variables DNS1 and DNS2, and the envi-
     ronment variable USEPEERDNS will be set to 1.  In addition, pppd
     will  create  an /etc/ppp/resolv.conf file containing one or two
     nameserver lines with the address(es) supplied by the peer.

I ended up creating /etc/ppd/ip-up.local as suggested in /etc/ppd/ip-up. It looks like:

#!/bin/bash

echo "created by pppd" > /etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver ${DNS1}" >> /etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver ${DNS2}" >> /etc/resolv.conf

Seemed to do the trick for me.

Note that when plugged into a LAN, /etc/resolv.conf gets overwritten by dhclient (which is what you probably want if you're on a LAN). If you're using a static IP for your wired connection, you might want to put the ppp resolv.conf in /etc/ppp as suggested on the man page. However, I haven't tried that to see if it works.

HTH,

Joe