Re: Problem with xterm/console

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:47:52 +0200, Karol <troloo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm linux newbie and usually I'm using my root account for everything (I
> have FC2 on my private computer and it's only occasionally connected to
> internet). I'd really like to start working as a standard user

Good -- as I'm sure you're aware, running as root is a very, very bad
habit.  Use "su -" (note the dash at the end) to switch to the root
account only when you need to, then switch back as soon as possible.

> but I
> have always the same problem (it was also on FC1). The problem is that
> at the beginning everything with console (xterm or standard gnome
> console) works perfectly. After installing several programs, couple of
> reboots, when I open console it's empty, it's kind of hanging up. Can
> you give me some advices how to set permissions for installed programs
> so standard user can access them and the most important how to access
> console when I'm standard user.

Normally, if you're installing packages from rpm's (as you ought to be
doing), permissions shouldn't be a problem.  Applications that need to
be run as root (such as applications that need direct access to
hardware, like CD burning software) should either be setuid root
(which, if they're installed from RPM, they probably already are) or
wrapped (again, they probably are if you're installing from RPM).

What's causing your shell session to hang is a mystery, but you have
you tried breaking out of it with a Ctrl-C?  Or checking your process
stack to see what's running? (use ps -awux | grep {your user name} to
see processes running as you).

> I have FC2 with Gnome, kernel 2.2.40.

OK -- that's a problem.  How exactly are you running such an old
kernel?  The 2.2 tree is way, way out of date, and FC2 comes with a
2.6 kernel by default.  It's non-trivial to get a 2.4 kernel running
in FC2, let alone a 2.2 kernel.  Are you sure that's what you're
running?  Try 'uname -a' to find out.

--
Ben Steeves
            ben.steeves@xxxxxxxxx