Re: [OT] Reverse DNS

From: "Jeff Vian" <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> I have worked for that type individual.  Only experience will aussage
> his fears, and that can be gotten by setting up your in-house primary
> DNS with the external provider as secondary DNS.  As has been mentioned,
> the secondary server will handle those times when your connection may be
> interrupted.  This configuration can be done completely transparent so
> he does not even know it has been done at first.  After an extended
> period of having it work that way you can then provide evidence that "it
> just works" and is reliable.
>
> Unless he is prone to micro-management and snooping as well as vengeful
> or can get you fired for being creative, it should help calm his fears
> when he sees the statistics.
>
> Another argument that would support you is that it is easier to make
> sure configs are correct and timely if you are able to do them inhouse
> rather than depending on properly understood instructions and the
> schedule for an external provider to make the changes when needed.

Jeff, going behind the boss' back and doing what you think is a good
thing can be very career limiting. Even misinterpreting the boss'
instructions can have serious repercussions. And extreme case MAY be
seen in the abu Graib situation. It is costing some soldiers their
freedom and may have terminated the career of the General in charge.

Sometimes you can get away with going behind the boss' back when the
improvement works and the boss does not realize that this indicates
you are perhaps too much a maverick to be safe.

It is far better, based on my decades of observation and experience,
to make the accurate business case to your boss clearly and completely.
This experience may lead to his mentoring you for promotions. It will
lead you in the direction of far higher paying and more responsible
jobs. That is generally "a good thing."

{^_^}