Re: [OT] Reverse DNS

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:26:35 +0200, Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Without knowing your specific situation we can't decide. The general
answer must be: the DNS who is authoritative for the IP. Who is
responsible / autoritative is stored at the RIPE. And as Luciano posted,
the responsibility can be delegated.

On the other hand, if you run a DNS in your LAN with your own private
domain, then of course your DNS reverse resolve the IPs, as long as you
configured not only a forward zone but a corresponding reverse zone too.

Alexander

What it boils down to is this, we have Network Solutions as our primary DNS servers so we don't use our ISPs for handling our DNS records. I want to bring our primary in house but my boss is terrified that if out T1 goes down we are screwed. Well, yeah if it goes down our site's not up so why would our DNS be so important. We need to be able to reverse DNS for the email we send to be sent properly.

Make sense?

-- Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Mark Haney
Network, Database and Systems Administration
DoctorDirectory.com Inc.