Re: Another sendmail relaying problem.

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 12:23, Franco wrote:
> Hi, i have set relay for my server, i have enabled just few
> ip of my lan to relay and all work fine.
> The problem is that if anyone from the internet write to a
> local user and use the smtp of my server it permit the relay.
> How can i stop this ?!
> Best regards.

Not sure I understand the question?

If an external mail server sends email to a local user which is located
on your server then it is not relaying.  Sendmail accepts the message
from port 25 and if it is a local user then the message is delivered.

Relaying occurs when you connect to an MTA and send a message for
someone that does not reside on that server.  In general you do not want
to relay mail, at least not as an open relay (which used to be the
default configuration a long time ago).

If you are saying that someone is able to bounce a message through your
server to another destination then you have miss-configured the server.
--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

A good memory does not equal pale ink.