Re: Maybe its not the KVM

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 10:54, edwarner99@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm beginning to think that my trouble with my KVM is
> not the KVM at all.
>
> It only seems to occur when I check the machine the
> next morning. My DSL line has gone down, and I'm not
> sure what else has happened.
> Is there something I could check regarding the long
> delay in using the machine?

So the machine hangs after sitting for some period of time?

Have you looked through all the log files?  /var/log/messages?

Can you determine exactly what time the machine hangs/crashes?  You may
want to put a cron job in which writes to a log file once a minute if
you have trouble determining what time the machine crashes.

What is the temperature of the system like?  (Have seen a heat problem
on one box I had which would raise just enough when the AC would cut off
at night to cause the box to crash)

(old story from somewhere, big computer center and one of the
minicomputers kept crashing each week in the evenings.  By the time the
admin got there the system was back on line.  After several weeks of
this the admin stayed late to try and figure out what was happening.  As
it got closer to the time of the weekly crash the cleaning people came
in and went into the computer room.  Shortly after that the system
crashed.  The admin ran into the computer room to see the cleaning
people vacuuming.  As the admin started looking over the machine to see
what was wrong the vacuuming stopped and the cleaning person unplugged
the vacuum and plugged the minicomputer back in which started to
reboot.)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx