Re: CD music file formats

Clint Harshaw wrote:
Bob Hartung wrote:

Hi all,
I am a newbie to this so here goes. I want to rip some very old CDs and then rerecord the songs onto CDs that will play in an "ancient" cd player. This player is able to play the original CDs, I just want to cut out the crap that I always have to skip over. So far I see lots of references to MP3 encoding using Grip and Lame. Also references to Ogg Orbis (sp?) and WAV formats. However, I see no references to the original CD format. Do I just rip them to a "raw" file format , collect the raw files into an iso and then burn the iso to CD with cdrecord dev=0,0,0 [filename}?

 Help, directions all appreciated.

TIA

Bob Hartung

Hi Bob, and welcome to Fedora! Here is a set of instructions that will rip your original CD into .wav format using Grip:

1. insert your music CD. If your CD player starts playing the CD, then stop it.
2. Click on Redhat -> Sound & Video -> More Sound & Video Applcations -> Grip. In a few seconds you should notice the tracks by name on the Grip's GUI.
3. Now let's set Grip up so that it will rip your CD. Click on Rip -> Rip Only.
4. Assuming Grip is now ripping your CD, go get a refreshing beverage. When it's done, you'll have to poke around to see where Grip stored your .wav files. Mine, for instance, stores them in a directory named ~/ogg/artistname/cdname (as a generic example).

For burning a CD that will play in about any player, I'd recommend your looking into K3B. It's pretty straightforward: point and click, and it'll burn the mixed CD that you want. If you are using Fedora Core 2, you'll find K3B already installed. However, if you are using Fedora Core 1, then you can easily install it with the following command from a root prompt: yum install k3b.

Now there is one item related to my experience with CD-R's: I've had some 700MB CD-R's that wouldn't play in older players, while 650MB CD-R's play just fine. That may or may not be your experience, but if you should bump into that problem, try burning to a 650MB CD-R.

Hope this helps, have fun! Let us know how it goes.
Clint

I use grip and I have configured it to store the ogg files in a sub directory of music and wav files in it's own subdirectory. This way I have a compressed version on the computer for those late night listening sessions. I can delete the wav files that I don't want/need.

In Grip under Config/Encode/Options, you can select/deselect to Delete .wav after encoding. You can also set your directories for ripping and encoding under the various Config tabs.

There are various reports on the net about sound quality between different encoders. I chose ogg for sound quality and no plans for DRM.
--
Robin Laing