Re: FC2 and manual ip address setup

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 09:17 -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
>      I have configured a linux box running FC2 to use static addressing.
> The machine was originally installed with FC2 to use dhcp and later I
> switched the addressing mode to static ip addressing from the network
> control panel. The system seems to have normal network access but I
> am perplexed by the contents of /etc/hosts which now are of the form...
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain mydomainname.domain localhost mydomainname
>
> Is this expected or a result of originally configuring the machine for dhcp?
> There appears to be no entry in /etc/hosts with the actual ip address of
> mydomainname.domain so I assume it is always gotten by dns. Thanks in
> advance for any comments as I want to make sure this is really the correct
> configuration for a static addressed machine.

No.  Have had to edit /etc/hosts in such situations to correct problems.
If there's a slick GUI way to do it someone else will have to comment -
I'm an old command-line guy.

My /etc/hosts looks something like:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.1.2   	myhostname.mydomain     myhostname

Phil