Re: FC1 -> FC2: very slow xDSL connection...

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 17:33, Andy Green wrote:

> On Thursday 24 June 2004 16:21, Andrea Giuliano wrote:
>
> > It's an Ethernet ADSL modem, namely the Siemens Gigaset. I'll try
> > tcpdump as soon as possible.
>
> Many times looking at tcpdump in one terminal window and trying things in
> another has given me the big clue :-)  I would be looking at the DNS
> resolution behaviour (UDP port 53 traffic) especially hard first.

I tried yesterday night, but the output is quite complicated. I only
noticed, while Epiphany was trying to access Google, many lines with
"www.google.it" and, I think, the actual IP address for Google. This
should mean that DNS is not the problem here. Also, "traceroute
www.google.it" immediately outputs several lines with IP addresses and
times in milliseconds, but it starts printing "*" after some lines,
which should mean that Google could not be reached but, at the same
time, that the name was resolved immediately. The same conclusion comes
from a "ping www.google.it", which answers immediately everytime is
issued.

> > > You should consider turning off ECN as a test too since some routers
> > > choke on it.
> > > echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
> >
> > What's that?
>
> Explicit Congestion Notification.  It is a bit in the TCP header, I think.
> Some router devices cannot handle seeing it and have a mental attack.  FC2
> can issue it by default.

It's 0 already.

> > > Also, what is your network setup like generally?
> >
> > Well, I started configuring eth0 and ppp0, but in an Italian document I
> > found a different suggestion: remove eth0 (using the "Network" menù
> > item), then add an xDSL connection with just a name ("Alice"), username
>
> Heh, I just got wifi working here using a similar trick :-)
> system-config-network is really cool once you can get it started with such an
> ifcfg-* file.
>
> I have no experience with ADSL unfortunately, but I would imagine you can do
> tcpdump -i Alice and just see traffic headed down there.
>
> - -Andy
Thanks, I think we are making some progress!

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico