PPP not working ? Why ?

Ok, what i did, since there was no driver for my modem under kernel 2.6 yet ... (Fedora Core 2). I cooked myself a rpm called kernel-old and nou I have to kernels 2.6.x and 2.4.22. Everything works ok, single problem is, that upon dialing up my internet provider, i conect, get ip assigned, get dns everything ok ... but the internet does not work ... if i ping myself OK, if i ping the Remote machine, OK, everything else does not work. (It looks like i have no DNS Server...). And that is only when i boot the 2.4.22 kernel (on the 2.6.x i don't know since i can't make the modem work).
Any ideea why ? Does the kernel have a relation with the PPP dial-up thingie ?

Thanks
Andrei

PS: I'm running KDE and using KPPP to connect ...