USB Zip 100 Drive Not Found?

I just (this last weekend) did a fresh install of FC2 over FC1 on a slightly aged IBM Aptiva SE7 (450 mHz P-II, 256 mB RAM). The initial install hung until I unplugged my USB Zip drive. The install completed and I plugged the drive back in, but it wasn't recognized, and when I rebooted, the startup hung again at Detecting New Hardware. Since then I have upgraded the Kernel to build 435, and I no longer experience the hang while rebooting with the USB drive plugged in. However, I still can't access the drive. It's particularly annoying because before upgrading from FC1, I backed up some files that I wanted to save on zip disks. BTW, when I first plugged the drive in under FC1 it was recognized immediately, and a line was added to fstab automagically.
Any ideas or assistance would be welcome. I'm still not very familiar with Linux internals, but I'm great at following directions.
Cheers,
Gordon Keehn